Military Outreach Specialist Job Description
The Military Outreach Specialist is responsible for responding to the informational needs of parents of children with disabilities and the professionals who serve them under the provisions of the US Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs and to provide training on a variety of topics of concern to military families who have family members with disabilities. The Military Outreach Specialist conducts intakes with families and professionals throughout all regions in Virginia and trains parents in their role as partners in education. The Military Outreach Specialist plans, directs, and manages the activities of PEATC’s military outreach initiative; coordinates efforts to increase the quality, quantity, and access of parenting education services in the Commonwealth of Virginia; promotes education, training, and involvement in parenting education efforts.
- Working knowledge of current principles in special education, family engagement, and military outreach; current local, state, and national laws, public policies, legislative issues, and political processes important to the concerns of parenting involvement in Virginia.
- Experience in working with professionals, families of children with disabilities, and individuals with disabilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Individual’s with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and other disability civil rights laws including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative professional relationships.
• Bachelor's degree in an education related field and/or related experience in special education law and/or advocacy.
- Build relationships with families and professionals across the Commonwealth of Virginia, concentrating your efforts on agencies who specialize in military outreach.
- Provide parents of children with disabilities and the professionals who work with them, with information about state and Federal Disability laws, disability education provisions, provide problem-solving opportunities, and support that will help them to better meet the needs of young children with disabilities and their family members.
- Remain current on state and federal disability education and disability civil rights laws, regulations, best practices and other rapidly-changing developments impacting the lives of people with disabilities
- Actively participate in all data collection processes including inputting information into the official company database.
- Effectively prepare and deliver workshops according to the audience and time constraints.
- Coordinate military outreach trainings to ensure compliance with grant guidelines.
- Conduct workshops and presentations for parents and professionals on topics related to Military Outreach and Special Education.
- Support the work of agency team members, project collaborators and community-based team members
- Update information on laws, programs and referral sources and communicate updates to all PEATC staff.
- Update PEATC parent handouts pertaining to Military Outreach information and referral sources and distribute to all other staff members, as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
Characteristics, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Proficient in computer skills, including use of email, Internet, Microsoft Office programs: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving skills and willingness to learn
- Ability to work both independently and as part of as team in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups of professionals and parents
- Driver’s License, an automobile, proof of automobile insurance and ability to travel throughout the state
- Ability to move objects weighing up to 40 pounds
- Available to work some evening and weekend hours including occasional overnight stays out of town
Salary Range: $19.23/hour - $21.00/hr + excellent benefits package
TO APPLY - Please submit your resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com.
*As an equal opportunity employer, PEATC believes that equal opportunity for all employees is important for the continuing success of our organization. In accordance with state and federal law, PEATC’s employment decisions and practices will not be influenced or affected by race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital status, veteran status, disability, age or any other characteristic protected by law.