PEATC is Recruiting
Bilingual Information Specialist positionJan 28, 2015Bilingual Information Specialist (Falls Church, VA)
The Bilingual Information Specialist is a part of a dynamic team working interdependently with PEATC staff across all PEATC programs as needed. The Bilingual Information Specialist supports the Outreach Coordinator and ultimately the Executive Director in the development and implementation of PEATC's Outreach program, under the provisions of the US Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs. The incumbent responds to the information needs of linguistically, culturally, diverse families, English speaking families and especially to Spanish-speaking families who have children with disabilities. The position requires an understanding of special education policy, an ability to conduct internet research, and presentation skills in order to conduct workshops and trainings and fluency in English and Spanish. Incumbent has the flexibility to travel throughout Virginia.
Proven success in grass roots outreach to Spanish-speaking families
• Knowledge of civil rights laws for individuals with disabilities such as IDEA, ADA and the Rehabilitation Act.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Fluent in Spanish and English, both orally and in writing.
• Excellent organizational, problem-solving skills and willingness to learn.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Bachelor's Degree required. Experience may be substituted for academic preparation.
• A vital member of a hard-working team committed to excellence in training parents in their role as partners in education.
• Provide parents, professionals, and team members with information, problem-solving, and support that will help them to better meet the needs of individuals with disabilities.
• Support the work of agency team members, project collaborators and community-based team members.
• Remain current on laws, regulations, best practices and other rapidly-changing developments in the field of disability.
• Conduct research and compiles information to respond to the information needs of parents.
• Conduct workshops for parents and professionals to offer help and support for the special needs of children with disabilities throughout Virginia
• Assist with planning and conducting outreach activities to Latino communities, specifically outside of the Northern Virginia area at least two times per month.
• Translate materials into Spanish or provide interpreter services.
• Update written materials with respect to laws, programs and referral sources.
• Develop written materials for intakes and newsletter in Spanish when needed.
• Manage/file information.
• Report and collect statistical information for evaluation purposes.
• Represent PEATC at meetings, conferences, task forces, interagency councils, advisory boards, etc. throughout Virginia.
• Enter data into online data collection system on a daily basis.
• Help with Facebook page posts and listserv
Characteristics, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor and presentation.
• Strong verbal and written communication and listening skills.
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse population of parents, community leaders, and volunteers.
• Strong sense of organization and planning and able to manage time well.
• Strong computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and email systems.
• Must be flexible and able to work evenings and weekends as needed and travel throughout the state.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of as team in a fast-paced environment.
• Driver's License, a motor vehicle and ability to travel throughout the state.
• Ability to work flexible hours (evenings/weekends) with some overnight travel
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with state and local governmental and community members, collaborators and with the public.
Compensation: Salary Range: $18- $20/hour with a great benefits package.
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
*As an equal opportunity employer, PEATC believes that equal opportunity for all employees is important for the continuing success of our organization. In accordance with state and federal law, PEATC's employment decisions and practices will not be influenced or affected by race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital status, veteran status, disability, age or any other characteristic protected by law.
Sorry. You are limited to emailing articles per day.
Copyright © 2019 Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center