PEATC is Recruiting
Information Specialist positionJan 28, 2015Information Specialist (Falls Church, VA)
The Information Specialist is responsible for responding to the informational needs of parents of children with disabilities and the professionals who serve them under the provisions of the US Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs. The Information Specialist conducts intakes with families and professionals throughout all regions in Virginia and trains parents in their role as partners in education.
• Experience in working with professionals, families of children with disabilities, and individuals with disabilities.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the Individual's with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and other disability civil rights laws including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
• Ability to move objects weighing up to 40 pounds
• Driver's License, an automobile, proof of automobile insurance and ability to travel locally for work related errands
Bachelor's Degree required. Experience may be substituted for academic preparation
• Build relationships with families and professionals across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• Provide parents of children with disabilities, disability -serving professionals, with information about state and Federal disability education provisions, provide problem-solving opportunities, and support that will help them to better meet the needs of children and young adults with disabilities 0-26 years of age and their family members.
• Remain current on state and federal disability education and disability civil rights laws, regulations, best practices and other rapidly-changing developments impacting the lives of people with disabilities
• Actively participate in all data collection processes including inputting information into the official company database.
• Effectively prepare and deliver workshops according to the audience and time constraints.
• Coordinate trainings to ensure compliance with grant guidelines.
• Conduct workshops and presentations for parents and professionals on topics related to Special Education.
• Answering incoming phone calls; handle routine, non-technical calls; relay other calls to appropriate staff members or take messages
• Manage incoming and outgoing mail, e-mail and faxes
Support Administrative Coordinator to answer incoming phone calls; handle routine, non-technical calls; relay other calls to appropriate staff members or take messages
• Send out information packets and other materials
• Provide support for trainings, workshops, board meetings and other PEATC functions
• Other duties as assigned.
Characteristics, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Proficient in PC-based computer skills, including use of email, Internet, Microsoft Office programs: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Excellent organizational, problem-solving skills and willingness to learn
• Ability to work both independently and as part of as team in a fast-paced environment
• Comfortable speaking in front of large groups of professionals and parents
• Driver's License, an automobile, proof of automobile insurance and ability to travel throughout the state
• Available to work some evening and weekend hours including occasional overnight stays out of town
Compensation: Salary Range: $18 - $20 / per hour with a great benefits package.
Please email resumes to email@example.com for consideration.
*As an equal opportunity employer, PEATC believes that equal opportunity for all employees is important for the continuing success of our organization. In accordance with state and federal law, PEATC's employment decisions and practices will not be influenced or affected by race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital status, veteran status, disability, age or any other characteristic protected by law.
Sorry. You are limited to emailing articles per day.
Copyright © 2018 Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center