The Month of the Military Child
Join the the Virginia Board of Education in recognizing Virginia's military children Apr 03, 2015The month of April has been designated by Governor Terry McAuliffe through Proclamation as the Month of the Military Child, a special time to “pay tribute to military children for their commitment, patience, courage and unconditional support of their parents.”
Across the nation, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, will be the day to “Purple Up! For Military Kids.” Wearing purple on April 15 will show support for our military students and appreciation for their strength and sacrifices.
Throughout the Month of the Military Child and beyond, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) offers online resources to help support military children or plan and promote events honoring them and their families.
- "Recognize and Celebrate Military Children” (http://doe.virginia.gov/support/student_family/military/resources/military_children/index.shtml) features ideas for ways to celebrate military children
- Military Families (http://doe.virginia.gov/support/student_family/military/index.shtml) provides resources and tools for school divisions and military families, including links for:
- Virginia Council on the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (http://doe.virginia.gov/support/student_family/military/va_council/index.shtml) created by the 2009 General Assembly to assist in easing the transition of the children of military families into school
- Guidance Documents & Training Materials (http://doe.virginia.gov/support/student_family/military/guidance_training/index.shtml) with information on key issues like special education transfers, graduation requirements, enrollment, and implementation of the Compact
- Virginia Laws (http://doe.virginia.gov/support/student_family/military/va_laws/index.shtml) addressing the education of military children
- School Liaison Officers (http://doe.virginia.gov/support/student_family/military/school_liaison_officers/index.shtml) connecting military families with educational opportunities and critical information about state and local school laws, policies and standards
- Model Programs & Initiatives (http://doe.virginia.gov/support/student_family/military/model_va_progs_initiatives/index.shtml) helping to ease the transition for military children
- Military Family Resources (http://doe.virginia.gov/support/student_family/military/resources/index.shtml) throughout the Commonwealth and nation
The VDOE encourages Virginia schools to involve students and staff in this opportunity and to share photos and/or descriptions of your “Purple Up!” and “Month of the Military Child” activities at firstname.lastname@example.org for posting on the VDOE Web site. If you have additional questions, you may also e-mail them to email@example.com or call 804-225-2092.