PEATC would like to thank our neighbors and families for attending our Open House yesterday afternoon in Springfield, VA.
PEATC enjoyed meeting new faces as well as reconnecting with more familiar ones. Those who attended enjoyed refreshments, including some delicious cupcakes, door prizes, and goody bags.
Our guests also had the opportunity to learn a little more about PEATC:
- PEATC is the federally funded parent training and information (PTI) center since 1978 established under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act serving families of children with disabilities birth to age 26 across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- PEATC materials and services are recognized nationally as practical, child-centered, and grounded in the firm belief that children with disabilities can reach their potential when parents and schools enjoy an equal and respectful partnership. Outreach efforts target the needs of Virginia’s culturally-linguistically-geographically diverse communities and families.
- Our most current data collection shows the effectiveness of PEATC services and the impact on families of children with disabilities in working with schools.
- Ninety-four percent of families of children with disabilities reported PEATC workshop information was useful and 86% of families reported the relevancy of the information positively impacted their ability to make decisions about their children’s education.
- In learning how to work with their children’s schools 91% of families of children with disabilities report an increase in their ability to form partnerships with their children’s schools while 74% reported being able to address a critical educational need for children by working with not against schools.
- Twice as many parents of school age children with disabilities receiving PEATC services reported being able to resolve disagreements with school divisions after receiving PEATC services as 96% of parents reported they are more knowledgeable about how to work with schools.
PEATC offers one to one telephone assistance and a range of workshops regarding special education and parent – school partnerships. For a full listing of PEATC workshops please visit www.peatc.org or call toll free to 800-869-6782.