“Families and Schools – Perfect Partners for Student Success”
Governor Ralph S. Northam, Superintendent of Public Instruction
Dr. James F. Lane, and the Virginia Department of Education recognize
November 2019 as Family Engagement Month In the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The importance of parental engagement in schools is well documented. Over 30 years of research shows that one of the most effective ways to increase student achievement is for parents to be actively involved in the education of their children.
November 2019 is Family Engagement Month in Schools
The Virginia Department of Education is committed to improving parent and family involvement for all students including students with disabilities. We believe that families and schools are perfect partners for student success.
Check out the following links for resources:
• Center for Family Involvement
• Department of Defense: Special Needs Parent Tool Kit – Birth to 18
• Guidance for Military Families with Students in Special Education
• National Standards, Goals, and Indicators for Family School Partnerships
• Parent Education Advocacy Training Center (PEATC) and PEATC Family Involvement Calendar
• Successful Innovations
• Tips and Strategies for Increasing Parent and Family Involvement in Virginia Schools
• Title I – Parent Involvement
• US Department of Education: Family and Community Engagement
• Virginia Family Special Education Connection
• Virginia PTA